Sometimes, all it takes is the smallest foible, or flaw in your smile to drastically reduce your confidence. It’s understandable, your smile is usually the first thing someone notices about you. It’s also a memorable feature that can shape the way the world perceives you. Being unable to show off your smile, whenever you like, can lower your self-esteem. That’s why we wanted to discuss veneers and find out if they’re right for you.
WHAT ARE VENEERS?
Veneers help to keep your mouth healthy, can improve your ability to speak and eat, all while looking great. They’re a thin covering, created from porcelain, that is placed on the front of your tooth. Veneers are custom-made to blend with your other teeth, including the shape, size and colour. This allows you to experience the improvements while continuing to look natural.
WHY WOULD SOMEONE NEED VENEERS?
Several conditions are improved by veneers, include:
- Chips or fractures
- Disproportioned teeth
- Uneven tooth contour
- Uneven spacing and gaps
- Sever staining and/or discoloration
HOW DO VENEERS WORK?
Veneers aren’t invasive, making them an ideal solution for hiding the imperfections in your smile. To prepare for your veneer, the dentist starts by removing a tiny amount of enamel from your tooth’s surface. The remaining portion of your tooth is cleaned and then etched creating a strong bond.
Once the tooth (or teeth) is prepared, the veneer is cemented on top. It is permanent. Before finishing, your dentist will help you check the functionality and aesthetics, ensuring they look natural, and feel that way as well.
WHAT MAKES VENEERS GREAT?
Veneers offer several benefits that you’ll be happy to experience.
- DURABILITY: Veneers are strong and likely to last 15 years when cared for. They may look thin and fragile, but since they’re constructed from porcelain, they firmly resist chips and cracks.
- A NATURAL LOOK AND FEEL: Your dentist’s priority is to ensure the veneer fits and functions properly. You’ll need to communicate any problems and discomfort right away. Since veneers are intended to mimic your naturalteeth, talking and eating should feel the same. Additionally, no one will be able to tell your teeth aren’t natural. Imagine how good it will feel to be able to laugh and smile without feeling self-conscious.
- RESTORE ENAMEL: It’s natural for enamel to eventually wear away. The foods we eat and the pressure we apply when brushing are the common contributing factors. This causes sensitivity and pain, and will accelerate decay. It’s also interesting to note that your veneer will actually be stronger than your natural tooth. Porcelain is resistant to acid erosion and other such damage, so, if foods did contribute to eroding enamel, that won’t happen to your veneers.
- REPAIRING CRACKS: A crack in a tooth can eventually destroy the tooth’s integrity. Veneers will repair the crack and prevent future damage.
- A BRIGHT SMILE: Perhaps the biggest reason patients choose veneers is for a brighter, more beautiful smile. Years of discolouration from soda, red wine, coffee, tobacco and aging will no longer be visible. The porcelain also provides enhanced stain resistance, keeping them beautiful and white year after year.
ARE VENEERS RIGHT FOR YOU?
Patients are always happy with their veneers, but you want to ensure your dentist agrees that they’re the appropriate solution for you. Sometimes, teeth are damaged to a point where a more invasive fix such as a crown, is required. Book a consultation with your dentist to help determine if veneers are right for you.